Topic-icon Playing timeline with MIDI

• sdutson91
  • sdutson91's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 4 months ago - 1 year 4 months ago #1400 by sdutson91
Playing timeline with MIDI was created by sdutson91
Evening all,

I want to be able to start/play my timeline show through a MIDI command, is this possible?

The lasers for my show are designed through Showeditor and placed together on the Timeline to a soundtrack. My other lights are designed on DMX software. I want both to play at the same time. I've managed to sync my dmx software up to MIDI, so when I press a key the DMX show starts. I want the same key to trigger the Showeditor Timeline.

I've been able to follow the tutorials and Youtube video's to control figures in Live mode, but can't see a way of starting a timeline show.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1401 by Tschosef
Replied by Tschosef on topic Playing timeline with MIDI
Hello,

there is a way to trigger the PlayList via midi... may be this will help?
If you open the playlist info, there is a Button "MIDI Info".. this will show you the messages and channel wich is used.

A other way to manage your job is to sync the DMX Software via DMX output from Timeline Show? ... is this a option?

best regards
erich

• sdutson91
More
1 year 4 months ago #1402 by sdutson91
Replied by sdutson91 on topic Playing timeline with MIDI
Thanks for that. I've been playing around with the playlist, but when ever I try and start it with the MIDI keyboard, it tries to play, but just shows a black simulation screen and doesn't actually start.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1403 by Tschosef
Hello...

ah... okay, i have to check this. May be this is a bug....

greez
Erich

• sdutson91
More
1 year 4 months ago #1404 by sdutson91
Thanks for checking. Also, not sure if this is also a bug or not. When I press the play HQ button with a laser plugged in it makes my laptop screen go funny. It first goes black, then to the lock screen, then back to a black screen, but the lasers still play in the background. When I press play HQ with the simulation and no lasers plugged in, all is fine.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1405 by Tschosef
the Play HQ (HQ für HighQuality) button is switching of the Display (if this is selected in the Settings "Other")... or may be it just shows a black screen (without switching of).
If you moove the Mouse, the screen will be reactivatet... but the black color will just end if you click on it... a right click will continue the show.

the Idea of Play HQ ist... maximum performance for the show. No display actualisation and (if you want to) also a black screen.

Greez
erich

• sdutson91
More
1 year 4 months ago #1406 by sdutson91
Brilliant, that's fixed that part.

I've been testing the MIDI side further, and the MIDI functions are working, for example I can use MIDI keys to move between tracks, and the MIDI function for play tries to activate the playing, but instead it just appears to open up the Show Information rather than actually playing the show.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1407 by Tschosef
Hello,

now i have checked the functionality of midi usage for the Playlist.
Here it is working fine.. so i think there is no bug.
Question: is the playlist working normal if you use the buttons oder doubleclick a show in your playlist?
May be, you used a show wich is protected by Dongle? in this case the simulation start automatically.

Best regards
erich

More
1 year 4 months ago #1408 by Tschosef
hmmm.... may be, the "Wait for OK" option is selected in your playlist? ...

• sdutson91
More
1 year 4 months ago #1409 by sdutson91
It works absolutely fine when clicking on the play button on the Playlist. No, the Wait for Ok before start next show function is not switched on. Although, it's behaving like it is. When I press play through MIDI the simulation opens (when the lasers aren't on) but doesn't play, if I then close the simulation screen, it automatically opens again and then plays. So really not sure what's going on. I've also tried creating a new show to see if it was an issue with the show I made, but it does the same thing with the new show I created.

I'm waiting to try a different MIDI controller to see if that makes a difference

More
1 year 4 months ago #1410 by Tschosef
Hello...

hm... that`s crasy....
the Midi Message is triggering the Play HQ Button...
hm, may be, it will help, if you change the Value of the Start Timing:
Timelineeditor Menue ==> Settings ==> Enter Delay for Showstart
Try a bigger or lower Value... but normaly this should work (default 1000ms) ...
try for example 5000ms

• sdutson91
More
1 year 4 months ago #1411 by sdutson91
Tried changing the start delay and still not working. I've also just tried it on my other computer, and got the same issues. The MIDI triggers the play HQ, but instead of playing it loads a blank simulation screen (when lasers are off), I close that simulation screen and it opens up a new simulation screen and then plays. So it appears to be triggering multiple Simulation screens.

When I try it with the lasers switched on, it also doesn't play, I've got to press exit a couple of times before it starts playing.

So it appears that it's loading, but something is blocking it, or getting in the way and preventing it from playing first time round.

More
1 year 4 months ago #1412 by Tschosef
Hello...

do you use Laserers with showNET?
In this case always the simulation will be showd, when the laser(s) are off, because the software is running in Freeware Mode.
Only if a ShowNET is connected (bevore softwarestart!) the software is working in FullversionMode

Greez
Erich

• sdutson91
More
1 year 3 months ago #1420 by sdutson91
Sorry, I've been away for a couple of weeks so haven't had a chance to respond.

Yes, I'm using Shownet which is plugged in. It's just not working as it should.

Is it possible to amend the midi output fields for playing the timeline? At the moment, when I click on 'Midi Info' it's saying I need to be on channel 2? but I can't access channel 2 on my new Midi controller. I'm using the same Akai APC Mini controller you use in the "How to use MIDI controllers with showeditor". When you tested to see if the MIDI options for the playlist worked correctly, how did you get onto channel 2 on the MIDI controller?

It's a real pain that the function is there, but isn't working properly.

More
1 year 3 months ago #1421 by Tschosef
Hello,

You write, the ShowNET is just not working as it should? What is the problem with your ShowNET? Is it not detected from the Showeditor?

The other Problem (Midi Controller) is more a problem of the controller then the software.
May be, a Midi controller, wich is not able to change its MIDI sending channel, is not the best midi controller .... There are 16 Midi sending channels possible, and each device should be able to change the channel. (also sending- and receiving channel).
As i know, the APC Mini is just able to controll the Live Window of Showeditor (sending on Midi Channel 1).
The older APC 40 Controller is also not able to controll the Live Window, because it is sending on 8 midi channels (each row a other chanel, and this could also not be changed)

So if you want to use the midi data from apc mini on a other midi channel, may be a tool like Bome MIDI Translator Classic will help. As i know it is able to receive midi messages and translate it to other midi messages with different values (also a other channel) and send it on a virtual midi port.

best regards
Erich

• sdutson91
More
1 year 3 months ago #1422 by sdutson91
No. As mentioned earlier on, when I try and play a show in Playlist through MIDI control, it doesn't play properly. It goes through the process of trying to play, but nothing happens. When I then press escape, it then loads again and then plays. I don't have this issue when using pressing play through through my normal computer keyboard. But I ideally need to use MIDI and for some reason the software isn't behaving properly.

I first tried with a virtual MIDI keyboard, which has multiple channels, and got the above mentioned issues, I then tried with the AKAI MIDI controller as I saw you use it in your video and wanted to see if that would work. But there's no issue with shownet, the issue is for some reason Playlist isn't playing properly through MIDI control.

More
1 year 3 months ago #1423 by Tschosef
Okay, thank you... i understand.
Now, today the new version of Showeditor hase been released. Please could you check it out? May be this is working better.

If not, please let me know.
What type of computer are you using?
As far as I know, this is a timing problem at the start of the show, but it usually occurs very rarely. The Problem is, the Computer hase to start several things (output, timeline, audioplayback) and sometimes there is trouble.
The Virtual Midi Keyboard normaly should work well.
Could you tell me the Name of it? May be i am able to reproduce the problem

greez

• sdutson91
More
1 year 3 months ago #1424 by sdutson91
I think we've got it!!!!

It didn't work with the updated version. However, I then downloaded a new MIDI virtual MIDI controller, and I've got it to work.

If you want to try and test it, then the one I couldn't make work was "MIDI Tools" which I had synced with "LoopMIDI". Not sure why it didn't work, it got the DMX lighting to play okay, just glitched with Showeditor.

Thanks for your help. Show is on Sunday, so fingers crossed it still works until then!

More
1 year 3 months ago #1426 by Tschosef
Hello,

thank you for your reply !!! that are good news

Best regards
Erich

Login