Topic-icon How do I get DMX in to control showeditor (Live Window?)

• ForthlightRob
  • ForthlightRob's Avatar Topic Author
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #1472 by ForthlightRob
I have a DS1000rgb mk3. I can control it fine in DMX mode to the laser itself, but to make it easier when rigged to add any new figures required, I'd like to use it whereby the DMX in to the laser drives Showeditor. The manual suggests this should be possible, but I cannot get it to work,
The DMX address on the lighting desk universe for the laser is 357, which I've set as the DMX input offset in the DMX options, I've set the number of channels to 20, which seems to match what is required. I've set Input to be the lasers shownet interface routed to Live Window, I've set DMX Thru to the lasers shwonet interface.
In Shownet Admin, I can see DMX values changing when I change them on the lighting desk, so I'm confident DMX is getting into the laser and to the computer.
In DMX input routing, it looks like the panel on the right allows mapping of DMX channels to functions. My lighting desk has a Laserworld Shownet profile, with preofessional and DJ modes, but the available effects channels don't match that profile so I've corrected the channel numbers against each effeect function, leaving the missing ones blank. I cannot however get Live Window or the laser to register any changes to the assigned DMX channels.
What am I doing wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #1473 by admin
The process is described in detail here: www.showeditor.com/en/manual/12-remote-c...ontrol-with-dmx.html

For testing purposes, to avoid any settings problems, I recommend using address 1 to make everything work and then switch do a different address later. This helps narrow down potential conflicts or problems and allows for making sure that the general basic setup works.

• ForthlightRob
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #1474 by ForthlightRob
Thanks, but I have read that, and scoured the internet for any other information, videos or tutorials showing the process step by step, but I'm afraid that manual section is not particularly clear. What are the output tracks? I have one laser selected to group A in the output options. I want to play one figure on that laser under DMX control.
Nothing I have tried has resulted in Live Window or the laser doing anything in response to DMX.

More
6 months 2 weeks ago #1475 by admin
Well, if the settings in the Admin Tool are correct and the laser sends the DMX signal to the software correctly, you first have to activate the corresponding ShowNET device as input source in Options -> MIDI/DMX and there in the lower right part.Then also check the DMX input routing - there you can addign control channels to different DMX channels., Remember: The DMX profiles for ShowNET are NOT the same as for the Showeditor remote control. You can completely customize the DMX channel routing in Showeditor, so the Profile is something you can create matching your Showeditor channel configuration. But you find info on teh standard assignment in the mentioned DMX input routing window.

• ForthlightRob
More
6 months 2 weeks ago #1476 by ForthlightRob
I've tried everything I can think of, on 2 different computers. In both cases ShowNet Admin shows DMX data responding to the lighting controller. I moved the laser to address 1 on its own universe. All the settings and mappings look correct, I can control the laser directly from the Live Window, but no response to DMX input in the Live Window. I've taken screenshots, but I can't see anything wrong - see 1drv.ms/f/s!AnGliMuJfsGHpxVBdhNmF5PIDY5g?e=voFZKb

More
6 months 2 weeks ago - 6 months 2 weeks ago #1477 by Tschosef
Hello,

i am the programmer of Showeditor, may be i am able to help.
First a explanation: You have to understand, there are 2 "logical DMX Devices" (just like a movinghead is a device). I think you already know this?

The Showeditor is a DMX Device, it reciefes dmx values from the DMX Input of the ShowNET, and then it use this values to change figures, pages, and so on.

The ShowNET itselve can be a DMX Device (without Lasersoftware), receifing data from the ShowNET DMX Input, OR from ArtNet... and so on.

So if you want to use the Showeditor as a dmx device, with its connected Laserinterfaces as ilda laser output), you have to do this:
1) In options of Showeditor, Page MIDI/DMX, select the ShowNET witch is the DMX-Input Port.

2) There is no need to select also a DMX Output port! (may be the DMX Output from the Software, will be changed to DMX input inside the ShowNET, I'm not an expert when it comes to Shownett functions. So the better way ist not to define a DMX output in Showeditor)

3) Also the DMX Through is not necessary (this is a option, that simply routes the input to the output again, without use the values for the Showeditort) ==> so you must not use it, if showeditor should use the dmx data!

4) the Seldction for the Routing to (timeline / live window / automatic) could be set to automatic or live.... if the live window is the active window, the data will be routed to the live window.

5) Set the input offset to 1 ... this tool is for example for usage with the "Dmx Through" option... somethink like a "merge functionality"

In DMX Routing for Live Window... leave the standard values.... the usage of the dmx values for the Showeditor is a other routing than in the ShowNET, "this are 2 different pairs shoes" as they say in bavaria ;-)

Now, if you change the dmx values on your controller, and if the dms values are routed to the live window, for example you should be able changing the selected Figures if you change value of Channel 1, or changinge the F-Page if you change Value of channel 19

If you change Size or Rotation (and so on) you will not see a change in the window... but you will see it in laseroutput.

i hope, this will help, please let me know, if more explanation is needet.

Short explanation to the "Pages" of the Software...
The Software hase 16 Output Pages, and each page contains 3 Lasertracks, wich are able to "play a figure and its effects".
Each of the 16 Pages could be routed to the 16 ilda output Hardwares (mostly one page to one hardware, but there is no logical limitation so your are also able send one page to 16 hardwares)

For each "Key" of the Software (a,b,c,d,e....) you are able to select in the live window, wich output Track(s) (corresponding to a page) the figure wich is assigned to the key, should be played.
If you made changes in the live window, do not forgett to save your changes in the (new) live Show

best regards
erich

• ForthlightRob
More
6 months 1 week ago #1478 by ForthlightRob
Hi Erich
Thanks very much tor the guidance and I have been able to make it work now. I think the input offset not being 1 and DMX Thru being selected were the crucial points that I needed to know. I'm sure I'm not the first and won't be the last stuggling to make this work. From a show rig planning perspective, hasving to put the laser at address 1, and not being able to use the DMX out on the laser would often be inconvenient although I'm able to work around that.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1479 by Tschosef
Hello,

thank you for your reply....
I think the DMX ==> Showeditor Live Window should also work with higher DMX Adresse. Simply try it, and let me know :-)
May be, i should remove the DMX THROUGH option, because this is really not necessary. It is rather experimental. I used this at a time, when there was no affordable wireless DMX function. ;-) I used W-Lan ShowNET instead...

greez
Erich

• ForthlightRob
More
6 months 1 week ago #1480 by ForthlightRob
From a quick test, I don't think an input offset other than 1 works.

More
6 months 1 week ago #1481 by Tschosef
ah....

okay... use not the input offset, use the values in the Input Mapping ....
I have to check the programmcode to know the influence of input offset...

Login